About Radha Krishna Bol
|I loved this song from the very first time I heard it. It was twenty years ago, when I was brand new to the kirtan world. I was browsing through some cassettes and, without knowing which to choose, I picked up a white one called Bhakti Rasa by somebody called Agnideva Das and went to the check out. Listening back to it at home and on my new walkman, I soon singled out Radha Krishna Bol to be beautiful yet melancholy, ancient yet relevant, haunting yet soothing.|
Then, sometime last year, I found myself inspired to record it.
Firstly, I turned the mridanga upside down and played the bottom end like an African djembe and then I recorded the top end to make a peculiar three-handed groove. With a bit of spacey electric piano, drones from a tanpura and bansuri flute I had the backing track done.
The song itself follows Gaura-Nitai 'wandering' around Nadia (West Bengal) inducing the people to chant (bol) the names of Radha and Krishna. For one who does so, there is the assurance of no further misfortune in the land of maya and the promise of one's body shaking in ecstasy and tears of happiness pouring from the eyes.
Radha Krishna bol bol, bolo re sobai; Chant! Chant! Everybody chant!
(1) 'rādhā-kṛṣṇa' bol bol bolo re sobāi (ei) śikṣā diyā, sab nadīyā phirche nece' gaura-nitāi (miche) māyār bośe, jāccho bhese', khāccho hābuḍubu, bhāi
(2) (jīv) kṛṣṇa-dās, e biśwās, korle to' ār duḥkho nāi (kṛṣṇa) bolbe jabe, pulak ha'be jhorbe āńkhi, boli tāi
(3) ('rādhā) kṛṣṇa' bolo, sańge calo, ei-mātra bhikhā cāi (jāy) sakal' bipod bhaktivinod bole, jakhon o-nām gāi
1) Chant, chant "Radha-Krsna!" Everyone chant! When Lord Caitanya and Lord Nityananda came dancing through Nadia, They gave these teachings: Chant, chant "Radha-Krsna!" Everyone chant! You are caught up in a whirlpool of senseless action and are sinking lower and lower. Chant, chant "Radha-Krsna!" Everyone chant!
2) If you just understand that the spirit soul is the eternal servant of Krsna, you will never have any more sorrows. Chant Hare Krsna and your eyes will fill with tears and your body will feel transcendental shivering. Chant, chant "Radha-Krsna!" Everyone chant!
3) Simply chant "Radha-Krsna" and join with us. Those are the only alms we beg. Chant, chant "Radha-Krsna!" Everyone chant! "All dangers will be gone when that Name is chanted," says Bhaktivinoda Thakura. Chant, chant "Radha-Krsna!" Everyone chant!
Written by Srila Bhaktivinode Thakura.
All instruments, vocals and programming by Krishna Sharma.
Produced by Krishna Sharma